Each therapeutic massage session at Restorative Massage Therapy
is customized based on the client’s specific needs. Depending on the
physical concerns, most sessions will use a combination of the modalities listed below.
- Swedish Massage – A great option for relaxation massage. The rhythmic motions and long, gliding strokes help improve blood flow. Kneading and circular motion with moderate to deep pressure and gentle stretching help reduce muscle tension.
- Acupressure for Massage – Acupressure focuses on relieving disruptions in the meridians, thus allowing energy to flow properly along the meridian channels (or rivers as some people call them) to restore proper function to the body. Often the massage therapist will hold one point for several minutes while massaging a corresponding point in another area of the body. Acupressure is a gentle method that is especially helpful for relieving muscular pain, headaches and backaches.
- Neuromuscular Therapy – The premise of Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT) is that in muscles that have suffered some type of trauma, there may be small granules of that muscle fiber that have never recovered. The fibers around that injured muscle granule then go into a “guarding” mode to keep the area “safe.” These guarded areas are called a trigger point. By applying pinpoint pressure, the guarded fibers around that granule are enabled to release, restoring proper mobility to that area of the muscle. Trigger points can affect localized areas or may refer pain to another part of the body.
- Prenatal Massage – Designed to help the expectant mother relax and find comfort in her ever-changing body, prenatal massage include special positioning with a mix of integrated massage therapy treatments. Learn more about Prenatal Massage Therapy and Postpartum Massage for after baby arrives.
- Myofascial Release – This slow paced, gentle work utilizes very slow compressions to help release the connective tissue (fascia). Often holding an area with gentle pressure for two minutes at a time, this approach allows the body to release deeply-held tension in a way that may provide longer-lasting results. No oils or lotions are used in this work.